At New York Blood Center, one of the most comprehensive blood centers in the world, our focus is on cultivating excellence by merging cutting-edge innovation with diligent customer service, groundbreaking research, and comprehensive program and service development. Join us as we work towards meeting and exceeding the growing needs of our diverse communities, further our lifesaving strategic goals in a rapidly changing environment, and expand our impact on the local, national, and global communities we serve.
New York Blood Center, Inc., sponsor of the National Cord Blood Program, has an exciting opportunity available for a Registered Nurse at its cord blood collection site at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center in Berkeley, CA.
As a key member of the National Cord Blood Program you will work with delivering mothers to present and explain the Program to them, collect cord blood units, discuss and obtain informed consents, and review medical records of mothers and infants. You will report to the Nurse Manager and the Medical Director of the Program and play an integral role in representing the entire Program at the collection hospital, while providing detailed information that impacts the safety and efficacy of the cord blood products.
• Representing the National Cord Blood Program at collection sites and developing/maintaining excellent working relationships with the OB services
• Enrolling new mothers to the Program and compiling data thereon
• Explaining Program procedures and discussing the informed consent in detail so that mothers are comfortable with all aspects of the Program
• Interviewing mothers to obtain medical histories and other personal information
• Collecting cord blood using aseptic techniques, maternal blood samples as needed
• Providing input on Program procedures and proposed changes
• Training new staff members
To qualify, you must have California RN license with practical experience in a hospital setting (preferably OB/Gyn). Ability to gather pertinent information from mothers, support enrollment efforts, and help mothers feel at ease providing extremely sensitive and confidential information are all essential. Excellent decision-making, oral/written communication, organizational, and PC skills are expected.
We offer a competitive salary, dynamic work atmosphere, and a comprehensive benefits package.