At New York Blood Center, one of the most comprehensive blood centers in the world, our focus is on cultivating excellence by merging cutting-edge innovation with diligent customer service, groundbreaking research, and comprehensive program and service development. Join us as we work towards meeting and exceeding the growing needs of our diverse communities, further our lifesaving strategic goals in a rapidly changing environment, and expand our impact on the local, national, and global communities we serve.
New York Blood Center, Inc., sponsor of the National Cord Blood Program, has an exciting opportunity available for a Phlebotomist at its cord blood collection site at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center in Berkeley, CA. As a key member of the National Cord Blood Program and reporting to the site RN and Nurse Manager of the program, you will work with delivering mothers to obtain a brief collection informed consent and collect cord blood units. Your role is crucial because you represent the entire Program at the collection hospital, and will
perform a very important step, the collection, that impacts the safety of the cord blood product.
• Representing the National Cord Blood Program at collection sites and developing/maintaining excellent working relationships with OB services
• Presenting the collection informed consent to mothers
• Collecting cord blood using aseptic techniques, maternal blood samples as needed
• Performing a screening test on cord blood
• Labeling and preparing products for shipment, as well as accompanying documents, to the Cord Blood Bank
To qualify, you must be a phlebotomist with practical experience in a hospital setting. Ability to gather pertinent information from mothers and support enrollment efforts will be expected, as will helping mothers feel at ease. Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment, along with excellent oral/written communication, problem-solving and multi-tasking skills are all essential.
We offer a competitive salary, dynamic work atmosphere, and a comprehensive benefits package.